It’s that time again! Time for MeanLaura’s annual collection of fun things on which you could be wasting your workday. Surely, you’ve given up solitaire by now, and there’s only so much Words with Friends or Temple Run you can enjoy before someone sneers about you still playing “that old stuff.”
DISCLAIMER: There is probably no educational or CE value in this post anywhere. Probably.
- Express yourself with the appropriate animated GIF. One of the stranger memes that took off in 2012 is the re-emergence of the animated GIF. The site gives you variety of these things…if you call a “variety” one guy, and each expresses a different emotion. Sprinkle these liberally in your forum posts throughout the Internet, to achieve annoyance for all. James Van Der Memes.
- Watch a dog lick your computer screen. No, I don’t know why. But it’s cute. I think it’s a pug puppy. But I’m not a dog person, so all I can ascertain is that it’s a dog. I’m sure someone will correct me in the comments. Likely, someone will tell me it’s just a puppy-faced alien. Whatever it is, it’s licking the screen. Watch it here.
- Play with circles. When you enter this site, you get four circles. Each time your mouse passes over a circle, it splits in four. Have only a couple of minutes to waste? That’s about all it will take, to get to the surprise. Try it here.
- Get current events trimmed for your attention span. Familiar with the acronym “TL;DR?” (Too Long; Didn’t Read.) On this site, browse a week’s worth of topics in a few minutes. (Ok, this one might kind of useful. Sorry.) Take a look, here.
- Catch up on your memes. Can’t keep up with latest meme? Me either. This site, the Internet Meme Database, helps you feel a little less out-of-the-loop. You can’t really live without being familiar with Grumpy Cat or YOLO.
- Feel better about your Photoshop skills. Hey, you might lack Photoshop skills, but at least your work isn’t on the front of, say, a national publication. Giggle and point at the snafus of supposed experts. See Photoshop Disasters.
- Feel guilty about not working. Spending too much time goofing off? Productivity Owl to the rescue! This Chrome extension only allows you a few minutes or seconds to spend on time-sucking websites, before kicking you off. It even keeps score, to see if you’re sticking with the program. No, it can’t be distracted with a Tootsie Pop.
What does this mean to me, Laura?
Probably not much, unless I’ve left your favorite out. Let me know what fun and cool sites you found this year in the comments!
Want to see the 2011 List?
Want to see the 2010 List?
There are 3 comments
I’m sorry – but some educational value did actually creep in. That one with the circles that split apart? Yeah, that one is a nice demonstration of what increasing resolution in bitmap images is all about.
Well…darn it. Don’t tell anyone 🙂
You are correct the dog is a pug puppy. I have 2 and I thought that was the cutest thing.
Comments are closed.